Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Hello, I am a freelance editor living in San Diego, CA. The person I do work for lives in Washington State. She owes me $500 and will not pay. We have both verbal agreement and written emails from her to me requesting to do work, which I did. Can I file a small court claim in San Diego? What are my options? Thank you!

Asked on 6/16/13, 2:05 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless defendant is served within the state, you cannot sue in small claims an out of state defendant.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/13, 11:11 am
Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

On further research, Mr. Selik is correct. The defendant would have to be sued in Washington State. The California Small Claims Act allows for service of an out-of-state defendant only in two circumstances that don't apply here: 1) real property that is the subject of the suit is owned in this state; or 2) the auto accident happened in this state.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/13, 5:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now