California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Hi,

I moved to New York from California and bought a house. The company I used to work for worked in the shipping industry and was responsible for shipping my belongings here.

Months before my wife and I moved I would pester the manager for a firm price and he always brushed me off telling me that 'they would take care of me' and 'don't worry about it.'

Towards the move date I got a figure out of him of around $700 for one large crate. This was all verbal. Nothing was ever in e-mail or writing of any kind.

Four weeks after I arrived in New York they still hadn't sent my belongings.

I finally got a call from the Manager telling me he hadn't been able to get the price that he always got and it would now be around 2500. I told him on the phone that there was no way I would pay this and he needed to go and do better.

The next correspondence was a text letting me know a delivery date for the items.

Again, nothing was ever in writing.

They are now pestering me for 2500 and I have not ignored a single e-mail from them. I have told them that I would be more than willing to settle the bill at the 700 agreed and they wouldn't get any money until I had it in writing that they were ok with that.

Today, 8 months later they have just sent an e-mail to me explaining that they are going to place a lien on my house...

I need to know if they are going to be able to go to court and do this. They have nothing in writing anywhere that I ever agreed to the amount and nothing in writing that I even asked them to do this.

Should I be worried?

Al;so, will I get a letter telling me to go to court in LA and if I don't go do they automatically win the judgement?

Many thanks