California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/18/13, 1:50 pm

My Husband and I are trying our best to represent ourselves in a Civil Court matter because we cannot afford legal fees. The defendant owes us a significant amount of money for services we provided and have gone unpaid. The county court has ruled in our favor as they Judgment Debtor failed to appear to the hearing. In order to find out what assets they have, we have been told to file an OEX and demand that they appear in court to examine their assets. We just learned that they have moved out of state from California to Florida (to avoid their debt to us). We do not know where in Florida they live now.

My Questions is when they do not show up for the OEX hearing (served to their last known address) what do we do next. Can we file a Bench Warrant for their arrest here in California? Do we have to move the hearing to Texas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search