California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/27/13, 2:19 pm

I live in California. I was laid off from my job and was out of work for four months. I am back to work now but I fell behind on my auto loan. I owe $11,600 but the vehicle is only worth about $7,000 if I sell it to a private party. If I sell the car for less than the loan i will owe money i do not have. If I voluntarily turn in the car will I be on the hook for the difference in the value and the loan? If the car is the only collateral can they demand the difference or sue me to collect?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/27/13, 2:25 pm by Joel Selik

I'm sorry, yes they can.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer. Box 1448 San Diego And Las Vegas, CA 92079

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search