California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Medical Billing Question

I recently started getting calls from a collection agency stating that I still owe a medical bill from 1999. It is now 2008. I was at a different job at the time and my insurance took care of all medical bills. I never recieved a bill from the doctor. Like most of the bills they were taken care of buy my insurance at the time. This doctor had all the information needed to collect. I am no longer at the same place of employment and no longer have the same insurance company. Is there a time frame that they are aloud to collect? How should I handle this?

Answered on: 1/07/08, 5:59 pm by Joel Selik

Re: Medical Billing Question

They are most likely beyond the time limitations. You may wish to write to them telling them that they should advise why not beyond the time limitation otherwise to cease from all collection activity. If they sued you and obtained a judgment, they can still pursue.

www.SelikLaw.com Box 1448 San Diego And Las Vegas, CA 92079

Answered on: 1/15/08, 7:19 am by Larry Rothman

Re: Medical Billing Question

Have you received any letters yet from the agency. I suggest you ask the collectoin agency to put in writing what they wish to claim. You may have a claim against the collection agency under the fair debt collection act since the debt may be apparently beyond the statute of limitations. Please call us if you have any questions.

Larry Rothman & Associates 1 CITY BOULEVARD WEST, SUITE 850 Orange, CA 92868