California  |  Credit and Debt Law

My Mother left a convalescent center in Feb, 2006. I signed on as responsible party and we paid monthly, in full, for all her care.

In August, 2006 I began receiving bills for more than $5,000. The first itemized bill came in Aug. 2010.

I ignored them all but never sent them back. Today both my sister and I got threatening letters.

Does the statute of limitations apply here and what, if anything, should I do? By the way, my Mom passed in May 2006.

Thanking you in advance,

most sincerely,

Tatiana Cruse

Answered on: 1/25/11, 10:39 pm by Michael Stone

The statute of limitations (legal time limit) has expired. You may safely ignore the letters or, depending on what the letters say, you could sue for violation of the fair debt collection laws. Do not make a payment, a partial payment, or an offer to pay, or you could reset the clock and give them the right to sue you again (assuming they ever could). I would be interested in looking at a scanned copy of the letter.

Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE 3020 Old Ranch Parkway, Suite 300 Seal Beach, CA 90740