Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Notice of Levy on bank account in California. Should I file Claim of Exemption (EJ-160) with the levying officer/Sheriff even though I only have the social security benefits money in my bank account, which is protected and exempt by law without claim?

Asked on 5/10/13, 2:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, I strongly suggest filing the form. The sheriff has not way of knowing if the source of the money and the bank might not automatically pick up on that fact. Although socials security benefits are protected, you should still speak up for your rights or someone might make a mistake and remove the money from your account.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/13, 2:23 pm
Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I absolutely agree. You will also need to prove that the only money in the account comes from your Social Security benefits.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/13, 3:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now