Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I am seeing someone who in his past created debits that he could no longer take care of, and he is paying monthly payments for back child support, he isn't a bad person even though this debit issue makes him sound like one. if we were to ever get married would i be responsible for his past debit history?

Asked on 5/10/10, 2:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes as to any community property you acquired. No, if you keep your separate property away from community property and do not commingle them. No, if you put your earnings in an account that he does not have access to. I answered a question identical to this one several days ago. Look at my prior responses and it sets forth the exact statutes.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/10, 2:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now