Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Am I responsible for the credit card charges of my deceased California registered domestic partner? I have a collection agency wanting payment.

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

As a general rule, you can only be held responsible for the debts if you were also a responsible party on the debt. I don't believe that the law has caught up with registered domestic partnerships to give creditors a right to pursue the partner for a debt incurred while registered. For married individuals, a creditor can pursue the other spouse for the deceased spouse's debts under community property laws. Again, I don't believe that California law has caught up with that yet. Tell the collection agency (in writing) that you want proof that you are liable for the debt, otherwise, let them know you will be hiring an attorney to pursue Fair Debt Collection Act violations by their company.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms