Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Is there a statue of limitation regarding bill collection? I received a notice from our accountant who states we did not pay for a 2007 individual tax return ammendment. They are asking for proof of payment sent. My bank was taken over in 2009 and I don't have old checks lying around. Am I obligated to pay this bill?

Asked on 10/25/13, 5:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The statute of limitations on bill collection does not apply to the IRS. Generally the IRS has three years, but sometimes six, and if you amend a return, they have three years from the amended return, or six. So if you filed your 2007 taxes in 2008 and then filed an amendment any time after 10/25/2010, they are within the limitations period for sure.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/13, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now