Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Should I get an attorney for a district attorney hearing regarding an accoused P549a vandalism. Under 300 $

You confuse me. There is no Penal Code section 549a. There is a Penal Code section 549, but it does not concern vandalism. It involves soliciting people to engage in presenting fraudulent insurance claims.

Steven Mandell Law Offices of Steven R. Mandell

Obviously you mean Penal Code 594. Anthony is confused.

I think it's a good idea to have a lawyer. District attorney (and city attorney) hearings can be tricky. They used to be the equivalent of a slow non-filing of a criminal case (like a dismissal), but in the last few years, that's changed. Having a lawyer can be helpful on many, many levels. Most criminal lawyers give free consultations. You should have one. If you'd like to talk to me, I'd be happy to meet with you (free consult). Good luck. Steve Mandell 310 393 0639

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

I'm sure you meant 594.

Vandalism carries potential jail, fines, probation and if you're under 21, your driver's license will be suspended for a year if you're convicted.

Yes - you need a lawyer. Either hire one of your choosing and have them appear on your behalf - or if you cannot afford an attorney, you'll need to appear and request a public defender.

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

What I suspect you mean is Penal Code Section 594(a) which is vandalism. But what confuses me is that you call it "a district attorney hearing." I've never heard of a "district attorney hearing" although it is possible that there is such a hearing in your county. What I suspect is that you are being charged with a misdemeanor before the Superior Court in which case you can be jailed for up to a year, depending upon your record you could be fined up to $5,000, and have various other negative consequences. You definitely need an attorney if you are being charged with a misdemeanor. If this is some sort of a hearing before the district attorney you also need an attorney. The District Attorney is the last person in the world who is going to support you and stand up for your rights.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Yes you should have one

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California