California  |  Criminal Law

I've gotten myself into a bit of trouble. Two nights ago, my fiance and I were drinking, and a had a bit more to drink than him. We started arguing. He was trying to restrain me to get me to calm down. I thought he was attacking me, so I bit his arm, but I did not break the skin. It was purely an emotional reaction. He called the police, and he told them he needed help getting me calmed down. They saw his arm and arrested me. After a night in jail and $30,000 bail, they want to charge me with felony domestic violence. Now a bit about me, I'm a young mom with a toddler, college graduate, I work 40+ hours a week, I'm attend and volunteer at church regularly. I have never done anything wrong in my life except get a speeding ticket. Before this, I have never been arrested or charged with anything. I'm obviously worried about being convicted with this and jail time, but how realistic is that? I guess I'm just looking for an expert opinion of this, which is just a matter of a good person having a bit too much to drink and doing something stupid. I don't feel I should be a convicted felon for that. That behavior is NOT in my nature at all. All answers and advice are appreciated. I'd like to put my mind at ease because I am very scared. Thank you.

Answered on: 8/31/13, 8:31 am by David M. Wallin

Domestiv Violence is a serious charge. As a Former Deputy District Attorney and as a Certified Criminal Law Specialist, our office has handled 100's of cases like yours. You should contact an attorney in your area, as most criminal attorneys give free consultations, as we have for 20 years. I wish you the very best........David Wallin

Law Offices OF David M. Wallin 3 LOCATIONS Palmdale-victorville-valencia, CA 93551

Answered on: 8/31/13, 10:44 am by Kelvin Green

You need an attorney with also a good strategy. It may be difficult to dismiss the charges but you certainly can mitigate them out. I suggest besides an attorney you need to look at anger management sessions and so alcohol classes becuase they certainly helped put you in the situation you were in...

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..

Answered on: 8/31/13, 12:43 pm by John Laurie

In addition to the above it is never a good idea to discuss facts of a criminal matter in a public forum

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356