California  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/03/13, 4:37 am

To Whom It May Concern.

My Daughter was caught shoplifting by the stores in house security. They did not call the police because she was with her legal guardian. They released her from the store and she went home. A week later she received a demand for $200.00 from some law office claiming to represent Kholes. This, they said, is a "Fine" designed to help kholes recover some of the money spent on the growing cost of theft prevention. My Daughter (17 yrs. old. Still a minor) is in foster care and receives $8.00 a week as an allowance, coulkdn't afford to pay $200.00 to anyone. So she decided to ignore the notice and went about her daily business of school and boyfriend, etc.. Now, over a month later, the same law office has sent yet another notice with the added threat of: If you do not pay the $200.00 "Fine" they are going to take her to court.

Q-1) Does she really have to pay this, so called, Fine, demanded from a private company. Not ordered by any Court or Judge??

Q-2) Can they still take her to Criminal Court and file charges against her, over a month after the incident??

Q-3) Can they take her to Civil Court and sue her for the $200.00. Even though she is still a minor??

Thank You.


Michael Petersen

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search