Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

What does the d.a. have to do or say to prove someone guilty of vc10851a stolen vehicle?

Asked on 2/16/12, 12:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian McGinity McGinity Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

California vehicle code 10851 is the unlawful taking or driving of a vehicle. It is also known as joyriding. The intent required to violate the statue is the intent to take the vehicle for a drive, even if just around the block.

The DA only needs to prove someone took the car without consent. However, if there was consent and even if that consent was gained through fraud a viable defense can be mounted.

The DA must show the vehicle was taken without consent. The DA must prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

If you have questions that are specific you can contact our office at

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/16/12, 9:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now