California  |  Criminal Law

Im a former employe of a retail chain who took a giftcard worth $6. i was let go and no charges were presented against me, but i get a letter a week ago saying the company wanted restitution of an extra $500 plus the $5.39 that was on the card. what should i do? can they press against me for such a little amount? What should I Do?

Answered on: 7/09/13, 10:55 pm by Zadik Shapiro

They could sue you civilly. But the cost of hiring an attorney and going to trial is much more than they will ever get. They will probably send you a couple of letters and then forget it. If they go to trial it may cost you more than what they are billing you. But most lawyers I know would advise you to ignore it unless and until you end up in a court room.

Since you were an employee of the company and since I am not a labor lawyer you might ask the same question on a labor law page.

Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro 15 Boardman Pl. San Francisco, CA 94103