California  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/09/13, 10:29 pm

Im a former employe of a retail chain who took a giftcard worth $6. i was let go and no charges were presented against me, but i get a letter a week ago saying the company wanted restitution of an extra $500 plus the $5.39 that was on the card. what should i do? can they press against me for such a little amount? What should I Do?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/09/13, 10:55 pm by Zadik Shapiro

They could sue you civilly. But the cost of hiring an attorney and going to trial is much more than they will ever get. They will probably send you a couple of letters and then forget it. If they go to trial it may cost you more than what they are billing you. But most lawyers I know would advise you to ignore it unless and until you end up in a court room.

Since you were an employee of the company and since I am not a labor lawyer you might ask the same question on a labor law page.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro 15 Boardman Pl. San Francisco, CA 94103

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search