California  |  Criminal Law

I am a felon and was stopped by police. I had a warrant from last summer and was taken into custody. Upon searching my car he found two unregistered shotguns. They were not mine. How do I get out of this mess

Answered on: 4/28/13, 1:49 pm by Kelvin Green

You are not just going to get out of this mess. The shotguns don't have to be yours. If you were in possession and guns under your control, you could be facing serious charges. You need to get with an experienced criminal defense attorney and sort this out

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..

Answered on: 4/28/13, 4:25 pm by Edward Hoffman

I agree with Mr. Green. You are guilty of possession if you knew the guns were there, even if they were someone else's property.

Possession is not the same thing as ownership. It requires only the exercise of dominion and control, even briefly. People possess other people's property all the time.

You need to get a lawyer ASAP.

Good luck.

Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman 11755 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1250 Los Angeles, CA 90025

Answered on: 4/28/13, 5:02 pm by Zadik Shapiro

One question is whether the search of the vehicle was legal. I do not have enough information to answer the question. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately.

Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro 15 Boardman Pl. San Francisco, CA 94103

Answered on: 4/30/13, 1:56 pm by Terry A. Nelson

"Get out of"??

No sarcasm intended, but.... By not having committed the crime[s] in the first place.

You face new felony charges with mandatory prison time under both state and federal law. Plus you face return to prison under the original case if is this is a parole or probation violation.

Hire an experienced attorney,

No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a charge reduction, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648