Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Firearms purchase

I have a misdemeanor offense with three years informal probation. I live in California. I am a gun owner. My question is:

Am I legally able to purchase firearms while still serving informal probation? Or must I wait for the probation to end? Thank you for your time.

Jay Leiderman Leiderman Devine LLP

Re: Firearms purchase

It depends what you are on probation for. If you were convicted of any of the crimes in Penal Code section 12021 you are ineligible for 10 years in California. You also may have Federal disabilities depending upon the crime.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Firearms purchase

Depends upon the conviction. All felonies and some misdemeanors result in loss of firearms rights. Generally, if the conviction would make you into a 'prohibited' person, OR if the probation terms barred you from ownership, your attorney and the court would/should have warned you at the time.

If the conviction has barred you, then you'll need to seek a court order restoring your rights once the probation is over. Call me when that time comes if you need your rights restored.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California