California  |  Criminal Law

Just found out I have a misdemeanor bench warrant for excessive blood alcohol level in California from about 15 yrs ago. I currently live in hawaii. what should I do to clear this up?

Answered on: 7/14/13, 11:42 am by Kelvin Green

Contact a California attorney in that jurisdiction and see what can be done without an appearance.

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..

Answered on: 7/14/13, 7:41 pm by Joshua Hale

Get an attorney.

Hale Law Group 4630 Border Village Rd. N171 San Ysidro, CA 92173

Answered on: 7/15/13, 12:29 am by Terry A. Nelson

The ONLY way you can 'handle' a warrant, you MUST turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, as yours appears to be, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present – which is safer and avoids immediately being taken into custody. You’ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and seek bail reduction or OR release. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain on any ‘Failure to Appear’ charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648