Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was involved in a domestic violence dispute with my boyfriend a couple years back. The judge assigned a 3 year probation order against him to not see me despite my (at the time) wishes. I continued to still see him, however a couple months ago he beat me pretty badly and I have records from the ER because my face was completely swollen and bruised and my eyes were bleeding. I have proof of my doctors visit and pictures, but have not told the authorities because I am scared I will get in trouble for seeing him. I am also upset because I feel he is addicted to marijuana, but do not know how to address that with authorities either. I'm pretty sure that's not acceptable at all, especially on probation. Please help.

Asked on 6/21/13, 1:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless he got a restraining order against you, you cannot be punished for seeing him. As I understand it the only restraining order prohibits him from seeing you. In such a case he violated the law by seeing you, by attacking you, and it is also a violation of his probation. The marijuana issue is up to the probation officer and the local custom of the court. You may call his probation officer or the police to report the various issues.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/13, 2:00 pm
John Laurie Gertz and Laurie
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As i understand the question the restraining order is only as to him not seeing you. If this is the case I do not see you getting into trouble. Different or other facts can change my evaluation

Read more
Answered on 6/23/13, 9:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now