Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

About November 2012, a car driving by my house had its rear window shattered in front of my street. My friend and I were playing with BB guns and accidentally shot the passing car. Naturally that person called the police but I was inside the house and they didn't know what happened. Months later I had a bbgun in my car and was pulled over for a traffic stop and the police confiscated the bb gun. They found out my address and linked the nov 2012 incident to me asking if that was me and apparently I said I did it admitting guilt. However I was referring to a different incident when I accidentally shattered a neighbors window and that had already been taken care of. Now I got a letter in the mail from an attorney saying because I admitted that I did it I have to pay the person $10,000. I never had a police report or had a case from the incident so they have no solid proof that I shattered the car window but just words that I admitted to a random police officer when I was pulled over months later.

Asked on 7/08/13, 10:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You had better take that letter and speak to an attorney. You are not clear on whether this letter is for an arraignment, or simply a civil demand from a private attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 11:47 am
Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Agreed. You need an attorney. Stop admitting this to everyone as it is admissible against you.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 6:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now