Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

About November 2012, a car driving by my house had its rear window shattered in front of my street. My friend and I were playing with BB guns and accidentally shot the passing car. Naturally that person called the police but I was inside the house and they didn't know what happened. Months later I had a bbgun in my car and was pulled over for a traffic stop and the police confiscated the bb gun. They found out my address and linked the nov 2012 incident to me asking if that was me and apparently I said I did it admitting guilt. However I was referring to a different incident when I accidentally shattered a neighbors window and that had already been taken care of. Now I got a letter in the mail from an attorney saying because I admitted that I did it I have to pay the person $10,000. I never had a police report or had a case from the incident so they have no solid proof that I shattered the car window but just words that I admitted to a random police officer when I was pulled over months later.

You had better take that letter and speak to an attorney. You are not clear on whether this letter is for an arraignment, or simply a civil demand from a private attorney.

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

Agreed. You need an attorney. Stop admitting this to everyone as it is admissible against you.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California