Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

If I am prohibited from owning a gun, and my wife buys a handgun for her protection, and we move to California, do their community property laws make me a legal owner of my wife's gun and thus a lawbreaker?

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

The prohibition typically isn't against just ownership, but also includes possession or control. If there was a firearm in your home, regardless of legal ownership, yes - you could be potentially in possession and in violation of the law.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I agree with Mr. Dane. But I would want to know more about the reasons why you say you're prohibited from owning a gun. It sounds like this was ordered under the laws of a different state or even a different country. Since I don't know who issued the order, what it says, or why it was made, I can't be sure what effect it would have here. (Some people can't have guns because they are felons, others can't have them due to a restraining order, while still others can't have them due to a serious mental illness. There are other reasons, too. Different laws govern in these situations.) But don't get your hopes up; California would probably limit your rights in much the same way they are limited now.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

For a felon or anyone otherwise prohibited from possessing guns under federal or state law, it is a serious risk for him living in a house where there is a gun. He can not even be in the presence of firearms or ammunition without risk of being charged with a felony. I have for years been warning that to be as safe as possible from legal problems when a felon or other prohibited person is present in a house [resides or visits], a gun owner must secure all guns and ammo in a locked gun safe, preferably in a locked room to neither of which a prohibited person has access. Knowingly allowing the prohibited person access to firearms could result in the gun owner being charged with ‘aiding and abetting’.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California