California  |  Discrimination Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/27/13, 9:02 am

I suspect that at my second job, the men in our dept are getting better pay than the women. I cannot prove anything, although I do know that at least one of the men is getting paid more than I am.

He has been there 2 years. I have been there 5 years. We do pretty much the same work. I even helped in his training.

Is there a discrimination law/suit I can pursue over this? Would my lawyer be able to get the records needed? Is there something I can do about this now, besides asking for a raise?

2 Answers

Answered on: 6/27/13, 9:50 am by Kristine Karila

It is unlawful to pay an employee less because of her gender. But, in order to have a discrimination lawsuit, you have to prove that you are being unlawfully discriminated against. Gather as much evidence as you can. Also, ask for a raise and advise that you believe you are being paid less because of your gender. If your employer does not provide a response as to the reason you are being paid less, call an employment law attorney. If a lawsuit is filed, your attorney can ask and receive relevant documents which will need to be redacted (private info - names, etc.) crossed out.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 6/28/13, 12:01 pm by Terry A. Nelson

The state and federal discrimination laws, including the "Equal Pay Act" prohibit unfair gender differential in pay. However, you have the burden of proving that you are the 'equal' of the men you claim are paid more. You must show at least equal: education, experience, work history, competence, evaluations, etc.

Now if you believe you can show the conduct was illegal under the above criteria, feel free to contact me for the legal help you’ll need. I've been doing these cases for years.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search