Legal Question in DUI Law in California

Hello, I am a 17 year old driver who was rear ended by a drunk driver. Some mistakes I made were transporting two minors and not being insured( the car was). The police didnt arrive so no police report was filed. My car is totaled but all passengers and myself came out without injury. It's the next day, do I have a case to receive compensation for my car at least?

CHAD MADDOX Law Offices of CHAD MADDOX

Usually a drunk driver gets probation as part of the punishment in court. One of the terms of probation can be to pay "restitution" to any victims. This would include your car.

You should contact the DA office at the courthouse that will be handling the prosecution of the drunk driver. Explain to them what happened, and that you want to make sure restitution is ordered as part of the probation in that case. Once that is ordered, there is likely a liaison that can work to make sure the defendant makes payment (or his insurance company pays).

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California