California  |  DUI Law

was caught driving on a suspended licenses while on probation due to a first offense dui conviction in CA. I was driving for my sister since she was pregnant and the officer acknowledged this. but never the less i was driving on a suspended license. he gave me a ticket to appear in court 2 months later and let me go and did not impound my vehicle. i have 2 children and one that was born a week ago but both my kids were not in the vehicle. i have a job and am the only one supporting my children. is it possible to get house arrest? or weekend jail time?

Answered on: 8/25/13, 7:33 pm by Zadik Shapiro

You have not given us enough information. For example, how many Dui's do you have and how many convictions for driving without a license. If it is charged as a misdemeanor and if you do not have enough money to retain a lawyer the court will appoint a lawyer to represent you. This might be the best person to answer your question since the treatment of situations such as yours vary from county to county. If you were driving your sister to the hospital to have her baby or a similar emergency you may have a reasonable defense to the case and you need to talk to a lawyer.

Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro 15 Boardman Pl. San Francisco, CA 94103

Answered on: 8/28/13, 3:32 pm by CHAD MADDOX

Assuming you do not have a defense to the charge (Was your sister in labor and unable to drive?), it may be possible to negotiate; home confinement, weekends, or possibly a private jail at night so that you can go to work during the day.

Regardless of what your facts are, you need to discuss them with a DUI lawyer.

The sooner, the better.

Good luck.

Law Offices of CHAD MADDOX 5120 E. La Palma Avenue, Suite # 207 Anaheim, CA 92807