Legal Question in DUI Law in California

driver license suspension

I was convicted of misdemeanor DUI in CA. My license was suspended for 4 months with driving to & from work privilege. The latest DMV notice says my license was again suspended until July 8, 2007 because of point total. I have requested a DMV hearing. In the letter it says ''You must surrender any license by the action effective date unless you request a hearing. The hearing request does not delay the action''. Does this mean I sill have to mail in my license or can I continue to drive under the previous to/from work status?

Elena Condes LAW OFFFICE OF ELENA CONDES

Re: driver license suspension

That depends. If the notice says you have x amount of days to request a hearing to stay the suspension pending the outcome of the hearing, then requesting a hearing in the time allows you to drive until you have a hearing and there is a decision. If not, then your license is suspended on the day mentioned and you have preserved your right to a hearing.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California