Legal Question in Education Law in California

I have a part in my custody agreement that states "Both parents shall have acess to the child's medical, dental and school records."

Now there is the FERPA law that states I have access to any maintained files that have my childs name, student id, social security number etc. In general anything that has to do with my child I am able to review.

My question is this does the custody agreement I have just reinforce the FERPA law that already states I have complete access to any and all of my childs school records toinclue but not be limited to behavioral records, files not located at the district but are at the school etc..

I only ask because the school is denying me access to my childs records located at the school she attends but are only allowing me access to her school records at the district office. Is this accurate based on this information. Am I not entitled to Any and All school records or documents that have my childs info. On it??

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

You have access to EVERYTHING. If necessary, go back to family court, get an order re access. If the school doesn't comply, they are in contempt.

More Education Law questions and answers in California