Legal Question in Elder Law in California

My brother and I inherited a house when our mother died. My brother is schizophrenic and is receiving Social Security Disability. Are we at risk of the government forcing us to sell our house for compensation for his benefits? If my brother signs a quit claim to the house will he lose his benefits?

Asked on 10/05/13, 2:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your brother has not yet received the property, he may want to file a disclaimer.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/13, 3:05 pm
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

SSDI/SSI recipients are allowed to own one real property wherein they reside without any adverse action. However, it will be better if his share of the property is placed in a special needs trust. I wouldn't advise him to do a quitclaim because (a) his share can be easily misappropriated, and (b) if the SSA finds out he gave away an asset worth tens of thousands of dollars he will have a problem.

Read more
Answered on 10/06/13, 10:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now