California  |  Entertainment Law

I created a phrase and the school I'm working allowed me to use it on equipment and tshirts. Should I trademark the phrase? And do I have legal rights to it if I was to leave the school.

Answered on: 7/03/13, 4:05 pm by Keith E. Cooper

You might not be able to retain exclusive rights in the phrase if you permitted the school to use it on equipment and t-shirts without having some sort of written agreement with them. They may, rightly, consider your contribution a gift that they can keep and use as they want.

A trademark is something that is used in commerce and is associated with a particular business. If you don't have a business in which you regularly use the mark, it is unlikely you would be able to register it as a trademark. If the school is using the phrase, it is more likely they would be able to register it as a trademark.

Keith E. Cooper, Esq. 8721 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 706 West Hollywood, CA 90069