Legal Question in Family Law in California

At what age can a minor child decide for himself which parent he wishes to live with in the state of California

Asked on 8/08/11, 2:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D .Kock APLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A child's custodial preference will be given increased weight based on the age and maturity of the child. As of this year, the Family Code was modified allowing a child 14 years or older the right to make a request to have their preference considered. With all that being said, the court must make the placement decision that is in the child's best interests if the parents cannot agree on the arrangement.

Read more
8/08/11, 2:55 pm
Rhonda Ellifritz Law Offices of Rhonda Ellifritz
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

During their minority, a child does not ever have the ability to decide which parent he wishes to live with. Their wishes are considered more as they get older, but the children's best interests are always the primary concern of the Court.

Read more
8/08/11, 2:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now