California  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/10/06, 3:34 pm

Child Support

My husband to be has just learned that another women may be pregnant with his child: 1: Information for paternity

2: Can the mother if infact it is his child and he does not have means to pay child support if she so desires can she come after my assests or business that I own or attach my personal wages?

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/10/06, 9:43 pm by Lyle Johnson

Re: Child Support

You should contact an attorney regarding a prenuptial agreement, and the best procedure to keep you assets separate. The general rule is that any property his name is on is subject to being attached for the payment of his debts. He will not be able to avoid the payment of child support because he is unemployed. The court will issue an order for him to obtain employment. If he fails to get a job he faces incarceration for contempt of court, and potentially county jail for failing to support his child. Also the amount of time he has the child with him will have a great affect on the amount of support he has to pay.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law 152 N. Third Street, Suite 550 San Jose, CA 95112

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search