California  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/10/02, 1:28 am

Does my name on a childs birth certificate establish paternity?

I would like to adopt my 10-year-old stepdaughter. She has an ''absentee'' father that may call her a couple times each year. He has only spent the first two years of her life with her. Other than that, he has been full of empty promises and has never paid child support. He lives in Las Vegas and we live in Oregon. I would like to pursue this adoption without his consent or knowledge. My stepdaughter was born in California and his name is on the birth certificate as her father. Does his name on her birth certificate make him the legal father in the state of California? (Condensed version - please email if more info is needed) Thank-you, Steve

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search