Legal Question in Family Law in California

Can we be considered for the Compromise of Arrears program? Do we need an attorney or can we file without one. My husband has three grown children. The mothers each received state aid for 18 years, other than one mother to whom my husband owes $4000. The other $71,000 arrears he owes is to the state and I believe that about half of that amount is interest. He has been paying faithfully via paycheck garnishment $660 a month. We will be paying this for the next 10+ years. We have two children at home. We would like to perhaps buy a house or maybe start our lives together, but all of our "extra" money goes to child support. Do you think a judge would reduce the arrears to approximately $20,000 so that we can have it paid off in 36 months, or, since the state is already raking us over the coals and we are obliging, will then continue to demand the entire $71,000?

A judge isn't going to reduce the arrearages for you. The only one who can compromise on arrearages with you is the Child Support Services Department that is enforcing the child support orders.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California