California  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/28/13, 10:03 am

Can we be considered for the Compromise of Arrears program? Do we need an attorney or can we file without one. My husband has three grown children. The mothers each received state aid for 18 years, other than one mother to whom my husband owes $4000. The other $71,000 arrears he owes is to the state and I believe that about half of that amount is interest. He has been paying faithfully via paycheck garnishment $660 a month. We will be paying this for the next 10+ years. We have two children at home. We would like to perhaps buy a house or maybe start our lives together, but all of our "extra" money goes to child support. Do you think a judge would reduce the arrears to approximately $20,000 so that we can have it paid off in 36 months, or, since the state is already raking us over the coals and we are obliging, will then continue to demand the entire $71,000?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search