Legal Question in Family Law in California

My daughter lives with her mother in california but wants to live with me in colorado. Can she choose who to live with ?

Asked on 12/19/11, 3:34 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. The child's wishes is only one factor in the court's determination of what custody order would be in the child's best interests.

Read more
Answered on 12/19/11, 4:23 pm
Michael Schneider Family Law Center
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The child's wishes is taken into consideration. So, yes, her wishes do in fact count. A lot will depend on how she represents in mediation. If you proceed, then you should have a qualified family law attorney represent you. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 12/19/11, 4:29 pm
Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D .Kock APLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A threshold question that must be addressed is how old is te child. If she is a mature teenager, the court can consider the child's desires. If the child is young, it's unlikely that the child's request will be weighed into the parenting equation but it could be justification to assess if the family needs counseling to address issues giving rise to the child's request to change custody.

Read more
Answered on 12/20/11, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now