Legal Question in Family Law in California

What forms do I need to fill out to change my name in Los Angeles County, CA? I keep calling my local courthouse but I keep getting told different things, and my application has already been rejected once (but they refuse to tell me why). I'm currently out of California and thus cannot simply pay my local courthouse a visit.

I'm a little concerned about your statement that you have had your application rejected. I don't know whether your application was rejected by the clerk because it was not the correct form, or whether it was filed, but rejected by the judge for some legal reason. These are two distinct and important issues.

The petition for a change of name is on a statewide form, the NC-100. There is no county specific form for Los Angeles County. There are other forms that must accompany this form, and you have to have a background check, which must be filled out and presented at the time of filing.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

I would try to find out why your application was rejected. You can ask a local attorney service to get you a copy of the order rejecting your prior application from the court file. I would then see if you can make the correction accordingly. It could be something as simple as not paying the correct fee.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California