Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband has a child outside of our relationship. I have not met this child because the mother of the child does not want me anywhere near him. As his wife, do I have a right to be in the child's life? We also have a 5 month old baby and I want us all to be a family. What should I do?

Erin Levine Levine Law Group, LLP

Your husband should file pleadings with the Superior Court requesting child custody and/or visitation modification. While you do not specifically have a legal right to the child, your husband does. Once your husband has a set custodial schedule of his child, you will have an opportunity to become involved in the child's life regardless of whether the mother of the child wants that or not.

Best of Luck!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California