Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband has a child outside of our relationship. I have not met this child because the mother of the child does not want me anywhere near him. As his wife, do I have a right to be in the child's life? We also have a 5 month old baby and I want us all to be a family. What should I do?

Asked on 10/27/09, 1:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Erin Levine Levine Law Group, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband should file pleadings with the Superior Court requesting child custody and/or visitation modification. While you do not specifically have a legal right to the child, your husband does. Once your husband has a set custodial schedule of his child, you will have an opportunity to become involved in the child's life regardless of whether the mother of the child wants that or not.

Best of Luck!

Read more
Answered on 11/01/09, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now