California  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/16/13, 3:07 pm

My ex husband fell 8000 behind in child/spousal support so I filed contempt charges. We went to court today and he told the Judge he didn't think he was in contempt so she appointed him a lawyer. Should I be worried? I'm representing myself. I gave the judge proof of none payments.

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/16/13, 8:54 pm by Anthony Roach

The alleged contemnor (in this case, your ex husband) has the right to an appointed attorney because contempt proceedings are similar to criminal proceedings. I would suggest to you that you at least consider getting an attorney to assist you with at least the contempt proceedings, as the appointed attorney is usually a skilled public defender who handles these types of matters.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search