Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband and myself were married for 7 years we then separated and were divorced for 3 months after that time we reconciled and remarried we have been married for 7 Years totaling 14 years . We are now divorcing again and I'm curious am I entitled to alimony ? We live in California and I know it has to be 10 years that you need to be married to receive alimony .

Catherine Schwartz Law Offices of Catherine A. Schwartz

Please call our office at (951) 686-8190 and we would be happy to set up a free phone consultation where one of our attorneys can help answer your questions.

Gary R. White Burton & White

Spousal support is payable. It does not take ten years of marriage to be entitled to spousal support.

I agree with Mr. White. There is a presumption that marriage over 10 years is a long marriage, and is one of the factors in determining whether to award spousal support, but there is no requirement alone that being married 10 years is required to get spousal support. The court will award spousal support for marriages of a duration less than 10 years.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California