Legal Question in Family Law in California

Legal Separation while Living Together? (California)

My husband and I, for religious reasons, and for the sake of remaining co-parents under the same roof and thereby virtually eliminating the trauma that the children would experience with a residential separation, want to get a legal separation, but not a divorce.

Can we get a legal separation while remaining roommates under the same roof? This is Southern California, and it would be far more advantageous to what we can provide for the kids, if we keep one residence. We want to remain under the same roof.

Is this possible? Would the courts even consider this? This is amicable between the both of us, and both are willing.

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

Reply: Legal Separation while Living Together? (California)

In a general sense you can file for and obtain a Legal Separation while continuing to reside under the same roof. Residing under the same roof should not pose a problem whatsoever.

For a specific opinion regarding your individual circumstances, I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law lawyer. Experience is not expensive, it's priceless!

You will find some valuable information on various California family law issues by visiting my web site.

Good luck to you!

Brian Levy, Esq.

www.calattorney.com

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California