California  |  Family Law

What is a non-clets restraining order in relation to domestic violence?

This was granted at a OSC Hearing/TRO/Domestic violence hearing.

Answered on: 6/12/13, 1:37 pm by Timothy McCormick

It is just like any other restraining order, except it is ordered not to be entered into the CLET System for tracking and prosecuting violations of violent offender restraining orders. A CLETS order carries with it a great deal of stigma, and must include certain pretty serious restrictions, such as surrender of all firearms owned or in the possession of the restrained person. Where the court either does not find sufficiently serious conduct, or where the court believes that the restrained person understands the seriousness of and will abide by an order without it being a CLETS order, the court may issue a non-CLETS order which is much less punitive, but just as serious an order.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 6/12/13, 6:45 pm by Anthony Roach

I agree with Mr. McCormick, but I write separate to add that trial courts are not supposed to be entering non-CLETS restraining orders anymore.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311