Legal Question in Family Law in California

How can I obtain Granparent's visitation rights? I hae been denied visitation with my grandchildren on several occasions.

Asked on 7/22/13, 8:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Grandparents do not have "rights" to visitation per se (as with anything else). California law allows grandparents and other relatives to petition for visitation but generally the right to contact with a minor child is the exclusive or sole decision of the child's custodial parent or custodial guardian if this person or persons are not the child's biological parents. I recommend that you thoroughly review the reasons that the visitations are being denied. You may need to work with a family counselor (rather than an attorney) to negotiate visitation or non-contact visitation with the child or children in order to develop trust with the biological parents.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 8:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now