Legal Question in Family Law in California

How can I obtain Granparent's visitation rights? I hae been denied visitation with my grandchildren on several occasions.

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

Grandparents do not have "rights" to visitation per se (as with anything else). California law allows grandparents and other relatives to petition for visitation but generally the right to contact with a minor child is the exclusive or sole decision of the child's custodial parent or custodial guardian if this person or persons are not the child's biological parents. I recommend that you thoroughly review the reasons that the visitations are being denied. You may need to work with a family counselor (rather than an attorney) to negotiate visitation or non-contact visitation with the child or children in order to develop trust with the biological parents.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California