California  |  Family Law

my partner and i are currently dissolving our domestic partnership in california. during the last year i gave birth to a child (which she did not adopt, sign a parenting agreement or birth certificate). i understand she has rights of parentage but she continues to harrass me via email and threats towards me and my family so she can gain custody and/or make me look unfit. what steps can be taken to stop her from this form of harrassment? it seems as though i have little rights in this state to protect me and my daughter from this type of verbal abuse.

Answered on: 9/24/10, 2:00 pm by Timothy McCormick

If the harassment meets the criteria (and it sounds like it might) you can put in for a domestic violence restraining order. DV is VERY broadly defined and includes verbal or written threats and harassment, not just true "violence" or even only the threat of true violence. Plain, run of the mill harassment often qualifies. If it does not reach that threshold, you can still request a no-contact order in the dissolution proceedings.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105