California  |  Family Law

Hello, I'm asking a question on behalf of my mother. Recently my mother has filed for divorce and now my father wants to reach an out of court settlement with mother. My mother wants to end the divorce so that she does not have to deal with him. However, my father violated a lot of provisions that are part of the Automatic Temporary Restraining Order in the Summons. He has transferred money out of his bank accounts, 401k, has taken my mothers name from their joint bank account and doesn't want to disclose that information to my mother. He has retained a lawyer while my mom has no legal representation. What should she do to get a just deal in this process without legal representation?

Answered on: 8/20/13, 12:31 pm by Timothy McCormick

You can't and you won't. If he is doing these things and has a lawyer, she is going to get trampled unless she hires a lawyer. If he has all the money and/or income and she does not, he can be ordered to pay for an attorney for her. She has no realistic option but to get a lawyer, or just give up.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105