Legal Question in Family Law in California

I signed the birth certificate to find out later i am not the biological father from a DNA test?

how do i remove my name from the child birth certificate? If she put me on child support do I have to pay? The girl and I have never been marry or committed. The state is California.

Thanks

You need to talk to an attorney in person or on the phone to discuss further. The issue that I see is whether you signed a voluntary declaration of paternity, how long ago you signed it, and whether there is an existing case or order for child support already in place.

Phillip Wheeler Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law- caonlinelawyer.com

A Family Law attorney can help you with this matter. He needs to know how long ago you signed it, was it a birth certificate or was declaration of paternity. He also needs to know any other information about the situation that you might not have mentioned here.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

The previous answers are exactly right. You DO have to pay child support until and unless you get a court order reversing the declaration of paternity. You will NEVER get that without a lawyer. It is VERY hard to undo those after 60-days. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. And you should preferably find a lawyer in the county where the child is, or one close by. This will require some face-time with the court in that county.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California