California  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/27/09, 11:14 am

My son's father and I were never married. We have a 6 year old son and we lived in Los Angeles where my son's father worked and I have always been a stay at home mom. We lived in separate residences.

In August (this year, 2009) my son left with his father on a trip AND NEVER CAME HOME. When I finally found them, I learned that he'd gone to Seattle, WA where his parents live and that he had already enrolled my son in school. I called the police but they told me that since he wasn't hiding my son from me, it wasn't kidnapping. He left me no money to get up there and I never had access to his bank accounts. It took me until now to find someone to help me get a plane ticket up to Seattle.

When I got there last week, I discovered that my son is living with both his father and MY sister, who lives in Tacoma. In the two days that I was in Seattle, I was allowed about two hours to visit with him. I'm now staying in Portland, OR with some friends, trying to get on my feet. I call my son several times a day to talk to him, but they rarely let him call me back, even though he wants to talk to me and doesn't understand why I've "abandoned" him. There's never been a custody arrangement because we've never been married or divorced, but my son's father IS on the birth certificate. CAN I JUST GO UP THERE AND TAKE MY SON BACK?

Thank You, K

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search