Legal Question in Family Law in California

substitution of attorney

My attorney no longer wants to represent me and has requested that I sign a substitution of attorney form. It states that I will be representing myself. Several attorneys have told me not to sign anything releasing the present attorney until I have someone else and am ready to sign. One attorney is considering representing me but wants to see the file first. The present attorney will not release the file until I sign the substitution , saying that this is standard procedure and if I do not sign he will go to court to be released from the case and I will have to pay all of the fees. Is this standard procedure?

Chris Johnson Christopher B. Johnson, Attorney at Law

Re: substitution of attorney

He can be relieved as your attorney if there is a fundamental breakdown in your relationship, usually when you and he cannot agree on a course of action.

Him keeping the file until you sign the substitution is understandable, as he would need it to continue representing you. However, you're entitled to a copy of the documents in the file in the meantime, which you could use to consult with another attorney.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California