California  |  Medical Leave

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/04/13, 8:58 pm

I currently work for the city as a part time employee with no benefits. Ive been employed with the city since 2007 and have only gotten one evaluation since my time working there (2008). 5 years later amd I have not received or heard a mention of any evaluation or benefits I could possibly acquire after working so many hours. My fiancee just recently had our first child and they told me i didnt qualify for the family medical leave act and now it seems like the city is trying to get rid of me. Is there any law or anything I can do to protect the money that should be entitled to me? I feel like they have neglected my potential benefits I should have and they lied to me about the qualifications for the FMLA saying I havent worked 1250 hours when ive been there for six years.

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/05/13, 1:32 am by Terry A. Nelson

"Entitled" to money?

If your CA employer has at least 50 employees, and you are employed for at least 12 months and have at least 1,250 hours worked "IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR" to the leave, then you would be eligible for 12 weeks of "UNpaid" FMLA / CFRA maternity / medical leave when you are unable to work or must care for an immediate family member.because of a ‘SERIOUS health condition’.

If you participate at your job in the State Disability Insurance (SDI) Program, you are entitled to a maximum of six weeks of partial pay under the Paid Family Leave Act while taking time off from work to bond with a newborn baby.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search