Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

About 2 years ago I loaned a friend $3,000. She has paid back none of it, but I have in an e-mail that she planned to start paying it back about 6 months ago ... which she hasn't done. I live in San Diego, CA, and she lives in Florida. What course of action can I take?

Asked on 5/16/13, 11:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You are going to have to either sue her in Florida, or out here in California in a limited civil action. Small claims doesn't have jurisdiction over nonresident defendants for something like this. It is not clear from your post whether she would have sufficient contacts with California to give this state personal jurisdiction over her.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 12:36 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You'll have to either sue or walk away from it.

You can file in Small Claims court, hopefully in your home state if the contract was entered there.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 4:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now