Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I tried to file a Motion to Vacate on a judgement in a civil case against me in CA and the clerk said I had the wrong form. What form should I be using? This is for a credit card judgment and I was not served properly.

Asked on 5/14/12, 12:05 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Did you use a Court form? There is no court form for this. You would need to get what the motion looks like from the law library or other legal source.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/12, 12:14 pm
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It sounds like you need to file a motion for relief from the default and from the judgment. There is no standard form for such a motion. Each one has to be prepared so as to explain why the defendant did not answer and why it is appropriate to grant relief. You will only have one chance to do this, and few laypeople are able to prepare such a motion correctly. You should hire a lawyer to do it for you if at all possible.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/12, 12:49 pm
Matthew Mickelson Law Offices of Matthew C. Mickelson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is no court form. You will need to file a motion to vacate, and there are specific requirements for the motion. You'll need to find a lawyer to help you or go to the law library and try to figure it out yourself.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/12, 12:50 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The only court form that I know of is for small claims. You need to speak to an attorney at lenght or repost and provide more information.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/12, 11:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now