Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I've been living in California a little over a month but have been a resident of Oklahoma my entire life. Am I still a resident of Oklahoma even though my address changed?

Roy Kohler Law Offices of Roy Kohler

If you declare yourself to be a resident of California and you actually live in California, you are now a resident of California.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Mr. Kohler is sort of correct. If you are a resident of OK, and come to California for a six week project, and intend to return to OK, you may not ever become a California resident. If you leave OK, come to California with the intention of living here with no present intention to return to OK, you would certainly be a CA resident, but not necessarily for all purposes. For example, until you have been a resident of California for six months, California does not recognize Family Law jurisdiction over you. Similarly to qualify as a resident for University of California resident versus non-resident tuition you don't qualify just by showing up here and getting a CA address.

I agree with Mr. McCormick. Residency is defined as your physical presence, coupled with the intent to remain there indefinitely.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms