California  |  Civil Litigation

After having rented my property to two tenants, I have found out that they committed fraud during the rental process by giving me fake pay stubs from a well established and well known national chain. They presented themselves as the employees of the store and provided me with the name of the store manager for the employment verification. The store manager who did work for the store falsely verified the employment of these prospective tenants.

Although the pay roll department of this store has acknowledged over the phone that my tenants never worked for the store and the paychecks they have submitted me are fake, they have refused to put this in writing.

1) Can I Subpoena the store to give me verification that my tenants never worked for them and the pay stubs they gave me are fake?

2) Can I take legal action against the store manager who falsely verified the employment of my tenants or the store itself?

Thank you for clarifying.